estado do tempo
Today is sunday 23 november, it is 11ºC and showers in Santiago
  • galego
  • español
  • english

VII Contemplative Music Festival: Tour 'Spaces for Reflection'

The VII Contemplative Music Festival features this year with the tour 'Spaces for Reflection': a group of churches will remain open during the days of the Festival, allowing residents and visitors to chart its own tour and discover the rich heritage of these temples and their brotherhoods.

 

** Santa María do Camiño
The origins of this church date back to the 15th century, and it maintained this structure until the 16th century. It was in the mid 18th century and the first few decades of the 19th when it underwent a profound transformation. The main altarpiece was designed by the sculptor Manuel de Leis in 1758, and the sculptures were created by Benito Silveira. Inside we can highlight the tympanum with the scene of the Epiphany, which comes from the medieval temple.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

Home church of Cofradía of La Humildad. Procession: Holy Monday, 21:30.

Contemplative Music Festival. 22nd March, 19:30. Jiri Bárta violoncello.

** Church of As Ánimas
It was built according to the plans of the architect Miguel Ferro, on uneven ground, and the master builder was Juan López Freire. A single-nave temple, articulated in side chapels that provide a perimeter communication system between them, in which there is an iconographic program on the Via Crucis, created by the sculptor Manuel de Prado y Mariño, between 1803 and 1814, which follows an iconological discourse designed by his brother, the architect Melchor de Prado, and modelled in Venetian stucco.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

Home church of Cofradía of La Esperanza. Procession: Palm Sunday, 18:00.

Contemplative Music Festival. 25th March, 19:30. Accademia del Piacere / 30th March, 20:00. Resonet

** San Bieito do Campo
Of medieval origin it was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century following the plans of Melchor de Prado Mariño, it is a hall church with a single nave with a barrel vault, chancel with barrel roof and semi-dome and main chapel, eight altars are opened in the side walls. Of these we can highlight the one that holds the gothic tympanum of the Epiphany and the Visitation relief. The main chapel is decorated with oil paintings and frescos by the academic artist Plácido Fernández Arosa, which have recently been restored.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

Contemplative Music Festival. 27th March, 22:00. Chamber Group of the Real Filharmonía: String Trio
   
** San Fiz de Solovio
This church is closely linked to the discovery of the body of the Apostle Santiago, as, according to tradition, the hermit Paio was praying here when he glimpsed the altar lamps that indicate the place where the apostolic tomb was found. Rebuilt by Bishop Sisnando, it was destroyed by Almanzor in 997 but rebuilt by Bishop Pedro de Mezonzo and by Gelmírez in 1122 according to the typical typology of a single-nave Romanic construction with wooden roof. In the 17th and 18th centuries a series of small chapels were added, altering its original configuration, leaving the three current naves. In the tympanum, a beautiful relief of the Epiphany, from 1316, is still conserved on its façade.

Saturdays, 16:00.

Contemplative Music Festival. 24th March, 21:30. Ars Atlántica.

** San Fructuoso
The construction of the parish church of San Fructuoso (or Nuestra Señora de la Angustia de Abajo) is the work of Lucas Ferro Caaveiro between 1754 and 1765. It stands on the plot that once housed the Vera Cruz Chapel. The main altarpiece was built around 1769 according to the designs of Luis Lorenzana, who left the Spanish order on the capitals of the columns, designed by him. The collateral altarpieces of the transept were commissioned in 1783 to Francisco Lens.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

Contemplative Music Festival. 29th March, 20:00. Chamber Group of the Sinfónica de Galicia: Cuarteto Atlántico.

Collegiate Church of Santa María de Sar
The origins of its foundation as an Augustine monastery are due to Munio Alfonso, close collaborator of Archbishop Gelmírez, and the works began in the 12th century. Its leaning pillars, probably due to an error in the construction, and the marshy land on which it stands, is one of the attractions of this Romanesque building; this was perfectly summed up by the poet Gerardo Diego when he wrote: Collegiate Church of Sar / sways from tiredness. /    It dreams it is going to sleep / and that the sky is very small. In the 18th century the building was reinforced with huge, solid flying buttresses, as it threatened to collapse. Of the primitive Romanesque cloisters only nine arches remain on its northern side.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

Contemplative Music Festival. 27th March, 20:00. Eloqventia.

** San Domingos de Bonaval
According to tradition, it was Santo Domingo de Guzmán who founded this convent at the beginning of the 8th century. In 1230 the church was consecrated and it was extended at the end of the same century, when its transept was fully renovated. Between the 16th and 18th centuries new works were carried out on the church, the wooden roofs were replaced with stone roofs, chapels were opened, altarpieces were built and the high chancel was constructed. Domingo de Andrade designed the lines of the main altarpiece, which was dismantled and moved to Parish Church of Santiago, in Carril. In the El Evangelio nave, we find the Panteón de Galegos Ilustres, with the tombs of Rosalía de Castro, Alfredo Brañas, Domingo Fontán, Francisco Asorey, Ramón Cabanillas and, very close by, Castelao.

22nd-31st March: Tuesday to Saturday: 10:30-14:00 and 16:00-19:30. Sundays and public holidays: 11:00-14:00. Closed on Mondays. (Entrance through the Museo do Pobo Galego).

Home church of Cofradía of El Rosario. Procession of El Santo Entierro: Good Friday, 20:00.

Contemplative Music Festival: 26th March, 20:30. Zefiro Baroque Orchestra. / 28th March, 21:00. Divna Ljubojevic and Coro Mélodi.

** Santa María de Conxo
The primitive church is related to Archbishop Gelmírez, who consecrated it in 1129; of this work the remains of the cloisters are conserved. In the 17th century the reconstruction of the convent began and the works on the cloisters were undertaken, and they were completed in 1651. In 1669, work began on the church, which was attributed to various creators such as Fernández Lechuga, fray Gabriel de Casas, Melchor de Velasco or Diego de Romay. In 1729 work got underway on the new chapel of Christ, which houses the image of the Crucified One, the work of Gregorio Fernández. This chapel and altarpieces are the work of Simón Rodríguez.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

Home church of Cofradía of El Santo Cristo de la Paciencia. Procession: Holy Tuesday, 21:00. (leaving from Convent of Las Mercedarias).

Contemplative Music Festival. 24th March, 19:30. Real Filharmonía de Galicia. Maximino Zumalave, Conductor.

** San Francisco
Its origins are related to Francis of Assisi when he went on a pilgrimage to Compostela around 1213-14. The current church was built on the land of the previous one, of which there are hardly any remains. Around 1730, the church was almost in ruins, and in 1740 it was decided to build a new more spacious construction with plans by Simón Rodríguez, who directed the works until his death in 1752, which were finished in 1787. It has a Latin cross floor plan, with spacious chancel and sacristy. The chapels, which are open on both sides as they are connected together, resemble lateral naves.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00.

Home church of Cofradía of La Vera Cruz. Procession of the Last Supper: Maundy Thursday, 19:00. Procession of Christ Resurrected: Easter Sunday, 11:00.

Secular Franciscan Order. Procession of the Entry into Jerusalem: Palm Sunday, 11:00.

Contemplative Music Festival. 23rd March, 21:30. Los caminos de Serkeci.

** San Martiño Pinario
The church was designed by the Portuguese architect Mateo López at the end of the 16th century. This great work and that of the monastery was continued by a considerable number of masters, such as Ginés Martínez, González de Araújo, Peña de Toro, Bartolomé Fernández Lechuga, Gabriel de Casas, Tomás Alonso or Fernando de Casas. Mateo López was responsible for the general approach of the work, which led him to configure the entire layout. The huge central nave is covered with a barrel vault with false panels. We must also highlight the magnificent altarpieces it has and the ashlar of the lower choir. The altarpiece of the main altar (1730) and the two of the transept were designed by Fernando de Casas and produced by the sculptor Miguel de Romay.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-18:30 (Entrance fee: 2.50 Euros)

Contemplative Music Festival. 23rd March, 19:30. Coro Joven and Niños Cantores of the Orquesta Sinfónica de Galicia.

** Santa María Salomé
Founded around 1140 with a single nave and wooden ceiling, there are hardly any remains of the medieval stonework, as it was renovated in the baroque when a series of chapels were added. On the façade we can see the images of an Annunciation, with Mary on the left and the Angel on the right and on the keystone, the Nursing Madonna. The interior has a square floor plan with semicircular dome on pendentives. In 1743, the bell tower was built, which followed the layout of the Church of San Félix. The entrance porch is from 16th century.

Hours of worship

Home church of Cofradía of La Virgen de la Soledad. Procession of La Virgen de la Soledad: Good Friday, 23:00.

** San Miguel dos Agros
The date this church was founded is not known. We know that it was rebuilt in the times of Diego Gelmírez (1122). Inside it has three naves with groined vault roof in the central one; La Dolorosa and El Nazareno chapels are covered with a barrel vault and Nuestra Señora y San Jerónimo Chapel has a stellar rib vault. The main altarpiece dates back to 1786. The church’s façade is in keeping with the neoclassical churches.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

Home church of Cofradía of Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno y la Santísima Virgen de los Dolores. Procession of La Virgen de los Dolores: Friday 22nd March, 21:00. Procession of El Encuentro: Good Friday, 11:00 (from Praza da Quintana).

** Santo Agostiño
It stands on the plot once occupied by the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Cerca. Francisco González Araújo, Bartolomé Fernández Lechuga and the Jácome Fernández, father and son, participated in its construction. The construction was carried out -according to Lechuga’s plan- in the first third of the 17th century.  The interior has a Latin cross floor plan inscribed in a single-nave rectangle, with side chapels, transept and dome by Jácome Fernández, son. Of the church’s sculptures, we must point out the great processional sculpture by Jesús Flagelado, related to the working method of Diego de Sande and an essential piece in the Holy Week processions in Santiago.

22nd-31st March: 9:00-12:45 and 18:15-19:45

Home church of Cofradía of Nuestro Padre Jesús Flagelado. Christ Scourged Procession: Maundy Thursday, 23:30.

** Church of the Convent of Santa Clara
The origins of the Convent of Santa Clara date back to the second half of the 13th century XIII, whereby its foundation was attributed to Queen Violant of Castile, wife of Alfonso X of Castile. There are hardly any remains of the primitive building, as it was extensively modified between the 17th and 18th centuries. Its main architects were Domingo de Andrade, fray Gabriel de Casas, Pedro de Arén and, in particular, Simón Rodríguez. The main altarpiece was made by Bugarín at the beginning of the 18th century, following the design of Andrade. The main façade –of great urban plasticity-, designed by Simón Rodríguez, stands out for its originality, as it does not take us inside the church, but rather, it leads us to a patio where the real entrance to the church is actually located.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

** San Roque
The origins of this small chapel lie in the promise made by the Canonry and the Town Council in 1520 as thanksgiving to San Roque for freeing the city of the plague. The church was finished in 1576 and a year later Archbishop Francisco Blanco founded the hospital, “to cure and provide remedies to the poor sufferers of bubos and other sicknesses...”. Inside the small church we can see a large altarpiece by Simón Rodríguez, who delivered the plans in 1742, which were executed by Romay. This beautiful altarpiece is formed by a central part of three bodies and two sides, it is similar to the altarpiece of the Church of La Compañía. The two side bodies advance towards the spectator as if they wanted to share their imaginary with us.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

** Church of the Convent of O Carme
The convent was founded by Mother María Antonia de Jesús, known as a monxiña do Penedo, in the mid 18th century, and it was this Order’s first one in Galicia. It stands on the lands that belonged to the Count of Priegue. The project for the work was the responsibility of Fray José de los Santos. On 23rd October 1758 the Madres Carmelitas moved from their house in San Roque to this new building. The church’s interior, of simple architecture -which coincides with principles of this order such as austerity and sobriety- has a Latin cross floor plan. However, this constructive simplicity does not make the building any less monumental, emphasised by the barrel vault reinforced by transverse arches and the blind semicircular dome in the transept. The main altarpiece was commissioned in 1800 and follows a neoclassical design in which, using polychrome, it imitates streaked marble and bronze on the capitals of the four compound columns.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30

** Church of As Orfas
The designs were commissioned to the architect Melchor de Velasco around 1664, who designed a single-nave interior, rectangular main chapel and straight transept. Sobriety is the main note in its architectonic interior, altered by the design of its current altarpiece, a work that Francisco de Lens commissioned in 1756 and in which José Gambino would produce, producing images of San José, San Francisco and the Apostle Santiago. On the side of the epistle, on the wall of the transept we can see the funereal monument of Cardinal Martín de Herrera, the work of the sculptor Francisco Asorey.

22nd-31st March: 9:00-13:30 and 17:30-19:00

Home church of Cofradía of El Santísimo Cristo de la Misericorida. Procession of Los Estudiantes: Holy Wednesday, 23:00.

** Chapel of A Virxe do Portal – Convent of Belvís
It was the Dominicans of Bonaval who led it to be established in 1306, as the first female convent of its order in Galicia. The building underwent extensions during the 17th century, such as the Chapel of La Virgen del Portal, with a single nave and dome over the alcove of La Virgen. The chapel was built thanks to the alms of the congregation, due to their belief in the curative properties of a spring located there.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

** San Paio de Antealtares
The construction of the church began in 1700 on the plot occupied by the previous church which was demolished. The work was commissioned to the Benedictine architect Fray Gabriel de Casas, followed by Pedro García who finished it in 1707, following Casas’ plans. It has a Greek cross floor plan with two short arms in the transept; at the foot, the arm is longer to hold the choir. Between 1708 and 1714 the church’s altarpieces were made. Firstly, the collateral altarpieces were built, and the main one was built last. We must mention that both the reliquary altarpiece -designed by Andrade- and the pulpit -work of Diego de Romay- belonged to the old church.

22nd-31st March: 11:00-13:30 and 16:00-19:00

** Church of La Universidad
The Church of The Company (Jesuits) or of The University was built in the mid 17th century on the plot previously occupied by the medieval church of Santa María a Nova. It has a Latin cross floor plan inscribed in a rectangle, with a gallery over the side chapels, vaulted nave, cloister vault and lantern finishing the transept. The importance of this church lies in its interior, in the altarpieces that decorate the main altar, the transept and the side naves. That of the main altar was commissioned in 1727 with Miguel de Romay, Ignacio Romero and Diego de Sande and follows the plans designed by Simón Rodríguez.

Contemplative Music Festival: 22nd March, 22:00. Jiri Bárta violoncello & Milan Svoboda, piano/ 25th March, 21:30. Grupo Instrumental Siglo XX / 29th March, 22:00. Il Concordu d’Orosei / 30th March, 22:00. Neopercusión

More information

Start date
15/03/2013
Finish date
31/03/2013
If you detect any errors in this web, please notify ot@santiagoturismo.com
How much did you like this entry?
Share it on: